A 22-year-old man accused of killing the stepson of an Ocean View ward councillor appeared in court late last week.
The man was arrested in the early hours of Wednesday morning April 10 just hours after Alfredo Francke, 33, was stabbed while sitting with friends in a community vegetable garden near Struis Way in Ocean View on Tuesday April 9.
Ocean View police spokesman, Sergeant Leon Fortuin, said the man had been charged with murder and had made his first court appearance in the Simon’s Town Magistrate’s Court on Friday April 12.
He was remanded in custody after being denied bail.
Alfredo’s father, Alfred, and his step-mother, ward councillor Patricia Francke, were still in shock after the incident.
Alfredo’s father told the Daily Voice he was called to the scene just before 5pm to find the body of his eldest son.
He was told by witnesses that his son had tried to run away after being stabbed in the chest, managing only
a few steps before collapsing.
Ms Francke thanked the arresting officer and Deon Terry, an off duty paramedic, for trying to save Alfredo.
He works for the False Bay Hospital ambulance services, she said.
The motive for the murder is still unknown.
The case has been postponed to Wednesday April 24.
There will be a memorial service for Alfredo on Saturday April 20 at the Ocean View civic centre at 8am.