The mountains and oceans are intrinsically happy holiday destinations with many people taking hikes and packing their swimming costumes for a dip in the sea.
Ensure that your visitors and family have a memorably happy experience, by planning excursions properly:
* Take a hike, but don’t go on your own. Walk in a group of at least four people at the speed of the slowest person.
* For a light walk, take the scenic Constantia Nek trail or for something more challenging, tackle Lion’s
* Don’t hike or cycle alone. Go in groups of four or more but no more than 10.
* Avoid carrying valuables.
* Do not resist if confronted by muggers.
* Do not cycle or hike before 8am or after 6pm.
* Programme emergency numbers into your phone. Table Mountain National Park (TMNP) control room: 0861 106 417/ SAPS: 10111
* Take plenty of water with you and remember bowls to give your dogs water.
* Take poo bags for your dogs to keep the trails clean for all mountain users.
* Don’t litter at picnic and braai spots.
* Wear sun-block, a hat and take a light, all-weather jacket with you.
* Make sure someone at home knows where you are.
* Don’t throw cigarette butts out of your car window. It takes just one spark to start a fire during Cape Town’s dry and windy summers.
* Do not feed baboons – they are wild animals and can become dangerous. Call the Baboon Hotline at 071 588 6540 if you see a problematic baboon.
* Take nothing but photographs and leave nothing but footprints.
* Table Mountain Cableway will be running its sunset specials from January 4 to February 28. Return tickets will be half price after 6pm for children and adults.
* Be patient. There may be delays or temporary gate closures at popular tourist spots such as Boulders and Cape Point.
* Head to the park early to picnic or braai, as space is limited to first come, first served.
* Don’t waste water. The city is experiencing Level-3 water restrictions.
* The Tokai Wild Card sales office will close at 1pm on Saturday December 24 and reopen at 8am on January 28 when the Wild Card office will commence normal working days, from Monday to Friday, 8am to
* My Activity Permits and My Green Cards can be bought from Cape Town Tourism visitor centres in addition to the Tokai Wild Card sales office.
Some of these offices will be open over the public holidays in season
and can be contacted at 021 762
* A My Green Card may not be renewed prior to the expiry date as exhibited on the card. Wild Cards can be renewed online on www.wildcard.co.za
* A Level 1 My Activity Permit Multi-User dog-walking permits more than one person to walk a dog at discounted rates. More information about this can be found on the official SANParks Wild Card website at www.sanparks.org/wild_new/