The tale of Sewe Mans Klip

According to Cape of Diab archives, and information from Fish Hoek Fossickings by John Clifford, Sewe Mans Klip, the large rock on the mountainside off Main Road, close to Sunny Cove train station has a tragic tale behind it. The story goes that in 1885, during the time of the Dutch East India Company, the road to Simon’s Town was in a very poor state, and a Mr Fischer was appointed to fix it. During the rain, seven fishermen took shelter under the overhanging rock, but it collapsed, burying all seven of them, hence, the name Sewe Mans Klip. It is believed that the men are still underneath the rock.