Then and now By erin.carelse - September 28, 2023 Share on Facebook Tweet on Twitter This picture shows Jacob’s Ladder, in Kalk Bay, in 1923. Jacob’s Ladder, also known as The Steps, stretches from Main Road to Boyes Drive. This 334-step mountain staircase was carved from local granite and built mainly during the 1890s. Picture Cape of Diab A recent picture of Jacob’s Ladder According to the Fish Hoek Valley Museum, this picture shows the Fish Hoek Women’s Association presenting the clock at the Beach Pavilion to the Fish Hoek Municipality on December 11, 1957. Picture: Fish Hoek Valley Museum A recent picture of the clock at Fish Hoek Beach. A 1923 picture showing St James Beach and tidal pool with the beach huts. Picture: Cape of Diab A recent picture of St James Beach and tidal pool with the beach huts. Olympia Café in 1919. To the right, according to the Kalk Bay Historical Association, is the Olympia Picture Palace, the then new bioscope that, as can be seen, is advertising the film The Vigilantes, released in America in 1918. The building, known as Harbour Mansions, was designed by Leon Norman and built by the Lazarus brothers who also owned it. Picture: Kalk Bay Historical Association A recent picture of Olympia Café The Majestic Hotel in Kalk Bay in 1930. Also known as “the pride of False Bay“, it was once owned by the Union Castle Company and took the overflow guests from the Mount Nelson. Today, the hotel, including the New Kings Hotel and the renowned “Klipkantientjie”, has become a charming village within a village known as Majestic Village. Picture: Cape of Diab A recent picture of the Majestic Apartments. A picture of an ox wagon outside Admiralty House in Simon’s Town circa 1900. Picture: Go South. A recent picture of Admiralty House in Simon’s Town. According to the Simon’s Town Historical Society, the original Simon’s Town Aerial Ropeway, built in 1903, swung both supplies and people through the air between the West Dockyard and the Royal Naval Hospital and Sanatorium. There were six cable cars – two for passengers, two (with cots) for patients and two for supplies. The ropeway stopped operating in 1927, and the metal pylons have stood unused since 1934. A recent picture showing one of the pylons from the old ropeway. According to the Simon’s Town Historical Society, this sandstone building is probably one of the smallest architectural commissions ever undertaken by Sir Herbert Baker, who better known for the Union Buildings in Pretoria and Groote Schuur. It was originally designed in 1901 as a cold-storage depot for Imperial Cold Storage, which supplied the Royal Navy with meat. In 1921, it was bought by Standard Bank and used as a bank for some 40 years. It was gazetted in 1983 as a national monument (today a provincial heritage site). Today, it is home to the Piping Bosun pub and restaurant. Picture: Go South A recent picture of the building that now houses the Piping Bosun pub and restaurant. The Wesleyan Chapel (Methodist Church) is the oldest existing church in Simon’s Town and was built on a piece of freehold land granted in 1828 by the Acting Governor of the Cape, Major-General Bourke. The chapel was built chiefly through the efforts of the Reverend Robert Snowdall, who came out to South Africa as assistant to the Reverend Barnabas Shaw of Cape Town. The foundation stone for the chapel was laid on August 29, 1827. The Wesleyan Chapel was formally opened on October 9, 1828. It was consecrated by the Anglican Bishop of Calcutta, the Right Reverend Daniel Wilson in 1832 as the Anglican community worshipped in the Wesleyan Chapel, since they had no church of their own. A recent picture of the Methodist Church in Simon’s Town. An undated photograph of Kommetjie. Picture Chip Snaddon A recent picture of Kommetjie from the same vantage point.