Then and now: Fish Hoek and Kalk Bay

According to the Kalk Bay Historical Society, the Dutch Reformed Church in Kalk Bay, pictured, was consecrated in April 1876 and was closed as a place of worship in 1951. This picture shows the church in 1900. According to an extract from Lawrence G Green’s book, I Heard The Old Men Say, Kalk Bay lost its interesting little Dutch Reformed Church in 1950, when the building was sold. The first congregation attended services in a stable at St James, but the church was built in the middle of last century. Abraham Auret, a great figure in the False Bay whaling and fishing industry, and owner of part of Muizenberg, was the builder. According to legend, the builders finished the roof and held a celebration without Auret’s permission. That night, the roof was ripped off by gale-force wind and landed on the beach. This was regarded as a punishment. No money was available for a new roof. Members of the Church of England then came forward and offered to finish the church provided they were allowed to hold their own services there. Agreement was reached, and the church was shared for many years. Picture: Cape of Diab
A recent photograph of the building which is now home to the Kalk Bay Theatre.
In October 1923 the local board in Fish Hoek passed the plans for a café, Santoy Tea Rooms, on the corner of Main and Recreation roads, according to Fish Hoek Looking Back, by Joy Cobern. It was taken over in 1925 by a new owner who changed the name to The Green Parrot Tea Room, pictured, and she brought her parrot, Polly, with her. When Main Road was rebuilt in the 1940s, it was discovered that the tea room was built on public land, and a part of the tea room’s stoep had to be removed to make room for a sidewalk. The business changed hands several times, but the parrot remained. The building was demolished in 1964 and replaced with the present building, also called The Green Parrot.
The current Green Parrot building on the corners of Main and Recreation roads. The building is currently home to The Emma Animal Rescue Society (TEARS) Charity Shop and other businesses.

In September, the False Bay Echo will celebrate its 70th anniversary.

To commemorate this milestone, readers can look forward to a souvenir edition in September.

In the run-up to our birthday, we will publish a four-page pull-out every month as well as a ‘then and now’ picture page which will commemorate the rich history of the far south.

We invite our readers to share their memories of the past with us by sending in old photographs, letters, or stories to our acting editor, Simoneh de Bruin, at simoneh.debruin@acm.co.za