Looking back at then and now By Yolande Du Preez - April 27, 2023 Share on Facebook Tweet on Twitter Warren’s Pharmacy in the Central Building in Fish Hoek Main Road around 1983. The pharmacy was established in 1940, and the current owner, Kirtikant Patel, bought Warren’s Pharmacy and Freeman’s Station Pharmacy in 1996. In 2002, the pharmacy extended to occupy the entire shop on the corner of Main Road and Recreation Road, currently occupied by Clicks. In 2012, the pharmacy moved to 71 Main Road, Fish Hoek. Picture: Fish Hoek Valley Museum The Central Building in Fish Hoek’s Main Road is currently home to Clicks. It was only around the middle of the 1920s that Fish Hoek got its first police force. The first station was in Lower Recreation Road on the right-hand side of a semi-detached house that stood where the Calders Hotel is today. Prior to this, the area was covered by the police in Simon’s Town. During the early 1920s and 1930s, things were so peaceful in Fish Hoek that the South African Police decided that a station was no longer necessary and the police officers were moved to Kalk Bay police station. Following an outcry from the Fish Hoek community, a site on Station Road, pictured, was identified and work completed at the end of April 1936. Police officially returned to Fish Hoek on May 2, 1936. Picture: Fish Hoek Valley Museum The building is currently home to Napoli – Afro Italian foods. The restaurant was taken over by Sam Eneya in March last year. The Homestead Residential Hotel around 1925. It was situated on the farm once owned by Hester de Villiers, and destroyed in a fire in November 1947. Picture: Fish Hoek Valley Museum The site is now home to the South African Navy’s Mess. Warwick House, which was built in 1923, was home to AP Jones for many years. AP Jones is one of only two of the original Fish Hoek businesses still running, according to Joy Cobern’s book, Fish Hoek Looking Back. AP Jones was travelling as an agent for Garlicks when he decided to buy a grocery store in Kommetjie Road. He then let Warwick House from a Mr Burton and started selling clothing and material. As Fish Hoek grew, the clothing and material side became so popular that he sold the grocery side, and when Oxleys, a women’s clothing shop in Warwick House, was put up for sale, he bought it. A recent photograph of Warwick House. The first police station in Lower Recreation Road. It was situated on the right-hand side of a semi-detached house that was home to a small library, a chemist and a butchery. Picture: Fish Hoek Valley Museum. The small building was replaced by the new Calders Kings Hotel circa 1960. In December 1973, The Salvation Army Advisory Council took over ownership of the hotel. A recent photograph of the Calders Hotel and Conference Centre.