Two men die in trench collapse

The Skymed helicopter on the scene where a trench collapsed last week.

Various investigations will be conducted to ensure the area where a trench side-wall collapsed on Thursday March 1- killing two men aged 31 and 38 and injuring another – is safe before work there is allowed to continue.

Mayoral committee member for transport and urban development, Brett Herron said the men were installing a new water pipeline system along Kommetjie Road when the wall collapsed around 11.50am.

Cape Medical Response (CMR) spokeswoman,Taryn Theron, said CMR was the first to arrive at the scene and found two men had already been removed while another was still trapped.

The two men were declared dead on arrival while the third man, 38, was removed from the trench with the assistance of the Fire Brigade and Metro Rescue.

He was stabilised and transported to Groote Schuur Hospital via Skymed helicopter.

Mr Herron said the area where the incident happened was closed off with immediate effect and
no work would continue there until such time as the necessary investigations have been completed.

Work on other areas of the site will continue in order to meet the contractual deadlines.

The Department of Labour was informed of the incident and their investigation has started.

The City’s appointed safety agent for the project has also
conducted an investigation of the site.

Previous articleCrime surge
Next articleBack from France